Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums
- "Dirty" Harry Callahan (Sudden Impact) 1983

Author Topic: Conficker.c  (Read 6655 times)

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
  • I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy each minute
    • View Profile
Conficker.c
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:12:49 pm »
For those of you not well informed of what is going on with that new virus threat, here is a bit more information from a trusted source:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344255,00.asp

Anyone running a Windows box should read this and take proper precautions, including the suggested eye test. This thing isn't doing anything right now, so many are getting very complacent, but it is a ticking time bomb that can literally go off at any time. Be prepared.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
Re: Conficker.c
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 02:54:39 am »
Nice link.   :)

Everyone should keep their Windows systems patched.  Microsoft's QA for patches is pretty decent.  I can't say any more about that, but there really isn't a good reason not to stay patched these days, unless you're on dial-up (250MB .NET 3.5 installer?!?!  Grrrrrr....).   

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
  • I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy each minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »
I have a couple of friends that are on dial up (we live in the boonies) and I help them by downloading those onto a flash drive so they can install them that way. It's normally only once per month, so it's easy. The very large patch days go onto a USB hard drive. I even burn service packs to CD for multiple friends (and to use at work).

I'm the update king, hehe.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Urragra

• Knights of the Watch
  • Molon Labe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »
unless you're on dial-up (250MB .NET 3.5 installer?!?!  Grrrrrr....).   

We're on my Mother In Law's internets.  Its allegedly Cable, but after 3 or 4 seconds it drops down to around 40kbps...  It makes me very sad. 
Lt. Col. Urragra

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:27:11 pm »
Cable internet providers like to give you a high "burst" speed, then throttle it WAY down to stop you from downloading huge files all the time.  They want it to work well for simple web browsing, but to be slow for big downloads so people will pay more for "faster" service.  I stick with DSL, but I'm lucky enough to have options where I live, I guess.  With DSL, you normally get consistent speeds, plus the ISPs for DSL tend to be less evil, unless you're in AT&T territory.   :'(

Anyhow, I read that conficker is probably being controlled by some Estonians black hats, based on an analysis of its recent activity...

I too am an update king.  I slipstream 4 different OSes at my workplace.   8)