Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: The Problem with wanting a Career.........  (Read 6957 times)

Sahe

The Problem with wanting a Career.........
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:55:14 am »
Is that it isn't until you have one that you realize you don't want a career, you want a paycheck...... .

I have a masters in EE&CE.

When I graduated, and went into the private sector (after my military days), I realized I hated my career choice, and bounced around until I finished up in the oilfield.

What do you do, and how did you get there? Is it what you wanted? Why.....or more likely, why not?

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
Re: The Problem with wanting a Career.........
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:33 pm »
I've done a few different things during my time in the "workforce" so far. I worked for a game company for 15 years, where I ran the mold making department. We made molds for pewter casting. Ended up getting laid off with everyone else when they closed the facility. After that I bounced around and tried different things, worked in hotels for a few years. Right now I'm a tech support rep at a call center. I try to explain using the internets to folks who aren't tech savvy.

Major
Co-Project Officer
Charlie Co. MechWarrior Online
Royal Black Watch

Urragra

• Knights of the Watch
  • Molon Labe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 07:06:45 am »
I work at a Military Youth Academy as a cross between a Drill Sergeant, a teacher and a mentor.  I have a Masters in Diplomacy and International Relations and thought I wanted to work for the State Department... until I worked for the State Department.  Actually, I suppose it wasn't all the State Department as much as it was I want to stay in Alaska now.  I'd kind of like to get in to emergency management, or something along those lines.

As an aside, what is EE&CE?
Lt. Col. Urragra

Aeren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31:03 pm »
educated guess and say Electrical Engineering and Civil Engineering, but i could be wrong.

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »
I would bet Computer Engineering (programming).  The two go together.  Think electronics/computer hardware and software combined.

I dated a woman who studied both.  She still didn't know how to put together a PC from parts though.  She was on the honor roll, fluent in like 5 languages, obviously very bright, so I'm not sure how that worked.  Then again, she was dating me, so she must have had a few screws loose.   ;)

Sahe

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:46:13 am »
I would bet Computer Engineering (programming).  The two go together.  Think electronics/computer hardware and software combined.

Got it in one!!

Connor Altinus Mcleod

• Guildmaster
  • Administrator
  • Strength and Honor
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Black Watch
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:42:19 pm »
Well I am now a Army Officer with 19 years :) Like my job but have to think about a new one? Any ideas?