Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Where do you think the future of gaming lies?  (Read 4028 times)

Connor Altinus Mcleod

• Guildmaster
  • Administrator
  • Strength and Honor
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Black Watch
Where do you think the future of gaming lies?
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:38:03 am »
This was a great question posed on Raptr and I wondered what does all the watch think?

So what do you all think?

Connor ???

Grei

• Positioned Officer
  • Tank Destroyer
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you think the future of gaming lies?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 01:53:27 am »
There is no way of really predicting and anyone who says there is, is only stating their own views.

10 years ago, there's no way anyone could've predicted that a game like Minecraft, with it's blocky retro style, would ever be as popular as it is today.

Hence my view that it's impossible to predict.

Generally, games that come out tend to be rehashes of popular formulas, even down to the general thread of the story (Disaster, War, Take Sides, Fight in the 'Final' Battle, New Enemy appears, repeat for MMORPGs).  It's rather sad to see, to be honest.

In the past few years, I've taken to watching Kickstarter, reading gaming news out of E3 and other gaming cons, etc. and finding gems in interesting indie games like Kerbal Space Program, Planet Explorers, Star Citizen, and the like.  That's where the future really will lie--in innovative and new approaches (or the rebirth of old approaches).

Grei
Wandering Aimlessly from Game to Game

Aeren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 12:13:03 am »
Popular media will always bring major AAA titles to the forefront; indie games will never rise to the occasion except in rare cases (they just do not have the marketing, not even word of mouth imo).  The cycle will continue, even with PS4 and Xbox One getting independent games.  While there may be more "create your own game" types coming, the heavy hitters like Battlefield, Assassin's Creed, etc. will have spiritual successors (I'm looking at you two, Watch Dogs and Titanfall) and will keep the AAA titles going.  More games will continue to have more morality/story branches, be more personal (by that I mean personalized for the player, more RPG elements) and cross-genre. (think Destiny by Bungie).   More mature titles will keep blurring the lines between games and movies (Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, etc).   MMORPGS will find a permanent home on consoles, and eventually cross play between anything including pc.  Honestly though, MMORPGS need a stimulant boost like crazy.  They need to take their norms and multiply them by 1000.  Everything is the same or becomes the same after a month of play, hence my term of nomads.  Further down the road who knows for sure, what's going to take hold next, is it going to be super-realism, virtual reality ,3D (again),  or something else?

Tashia

• Positioned Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 06:00:53 am »
I think the emphasis will be in recruiting scientists and behavior experts into the game design process to use psychology to create super addictive games that hold an audience and part them with their cash at regular intervals. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php

krow

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
Really, looking forward to this one. ..! (See Trailer Link below)
Futuristic RPG.
Hope the future of gaming is somewhere in it.

Please note: may contain content inappropriate for young children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y9711pvZkc
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 01:28:37 pm by Krow »