Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Movie download  (Read 12970 times)

Daxe

Movie download
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:06:41 pm »
hey guys !

anyone ever use an online subscription site to watch or download movies ? I'm thinking about doing this but I'm not sure who is dependable.

Thanks !
Daxe

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
Re: Movie download
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 04:31:14 pm »
Amazon has a department called Amazon Unbox that has movie and TV show downloads. I used them before to get some old sci fi series that aren't available anymore. Their prices are reasonable, and I never had any problems downloading.

Amazon Unbox

Major
Co-Project Officer
Charlie Co. MechWarrior Online
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 09:00:15 pm »
sweet Moz ! They have what I was looking for...FIREFLY !  :)

thanks a bunch my friend

Daxe

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 09:49:31 pm »
Ahh, that's a great show, some of the best TV ever made, IMO. I have all the episodes on my PC  :)

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 10:07:25 pm »
The DVD box set is pretty cheap.  It has some nice bonus features too.

Daxe

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 10:43:37 pm »
I checked the site out but...can I save these to disc ? What happens if I crash and burn on my pc ?

and yes...what an awesome series !

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
The stuff I DLed from them I saved to disk, and I think it was a 7 day rental type of thing, where you can watch it whenever for 7 days, then the DRM lisence runs out. The stuff I downloaded was old Babylon 5 episodes, before I broke down and bought the boxed set.

Edit: And I'm pretty sure you can re-download stuff you've already purchased, in case something disastrous happens, like a hard drive crash.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:29:02 pm by Moztok »

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2008, 01:27:55 pm »
ok so I bought season one and ....wow..these files are HUGE. I'm not really great at saving data but..how exactly do you get these 1GB files onto a DVD cd ? The DVD cd says it will hold 4gb but my system keeps telling me the files are to big ? I'm guessing I need to compress these in some way ?

Help ? 

hehe thanks Moz

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 01:47:57 pm »
I've never burned a DVD before, just CDs. Are you sure the whole thing is just 1 GB? Asking because my Firefly episodes come out to 5.15 GB total. Also, what format are the files in?

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
12.5 gb is what I have for 14 episodes. They are in WMV format ?  I'm losing my mind trying to get these things onto a CD.

I just read that even i you get these files onto a DVD cd you can't watch them on your DVD :/

that sucks..I should have bought the box set.
Daxe
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:20:47 pm by Daxe »

Daxe

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 04:14:52 pm »
apparently they are encoded...henc e the reason I can get them coverted.

/sigh

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:47:34 pm »
Yeah, .wmv files are usually licensed for temporary use, like a video rental. You watch em on your PC or portable player, then delete the files after the license expires. Sorry about that Daxe, I didn't realize you were looking for episodes to burn to DVD, when you said save to disc, I thought you meant saving to a hard drive. If you bought the episodes as a permanent purchase, you should be able to burn them to a DVD, but you'll probably just be able to fit 3 episodes on each DVD, maybe 4.

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 04:50:02 pm »
I did purchase them...I didn't rent them. I can't figure out how to get them to DvD though. I seriously have been at it all morning long.

Plus they take up so much space on my hard drive..I have to get them of there.

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 05:02:41 pm »
If you're running Win XP, you should be able to open "My Computer", and see your DVD drive listed there along with your hard drive and any other drives. If you click on the DVD drive, you should see a list of options appear on the left side of the My Computer window. One of the options should be burn or copy files to DVD. Click on that, a blank window should pop up, just drag the .wmv files one at a time into the window then click copy these files to disc on the left. That's how win XP handles burning files to CD, a DVD burner shouldn't be much different. I'd try to burn 4 files at first, if that's too big, try 3.

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:14:21 pm »
I can do that but each file is over 800 mb and the discs hold 700 mb. Is there a way to compress these files ?

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
Ok, that's a CD then if it's 700MB. You could try right-clicking on one of the movie files and click send to -> zipped folder, but with movie files I'm not sure you'll get enough compression. Burning them onto a DVD disc might be the only option.

Major
Co-Project Officer
Royal Black Watch

Daxe

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 07:32:45 pm »
I have been trying to burn them to a DVD disc for the past 30 mins and for some reason it's telling me the disc is full..not enough space. I know it's a blank Dvd disc...

anyway..thank you guys so much for helping me out..I really appreciate it.

Daxe

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 05:32:38 pm »
It could also be that the DVD burner only works with one type of writeable DVD media, but you've given it the wrong type of blank.  It could also be a driver problem.  I've run into similar problems with .ISO burning.