Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Wounded Warrior Project  (Read 5149 times)

Leilana

Wounded Warrior Project
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:15:06 pm »
Hi all, I know there are some veterans in the kin, so I wanted to share this with y'all.

I'm part of Wounded Warrior Project [http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org], which is a non-profit organization founded on the principle that veterans are our nation's greatest citizens. WWP seeks to assist those men and women of our armed forces who have been severely injured during the conflicts in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other locations around the world.  They also assist for veterans from former wars, not just Iraq.

I post this to ask for everyone's help.  Many soldiers have been severely wounded and require around-the-clock care.  In most occasions, the caregiver is a spouse, significant other, parent, friend, etc.  When a soldier requires constant care, the caregiver usually must give up their job.  They are currently offered nothing in return by the government.

WWP's top priority this year is for Congress to pass legislation (Bill HR 2342) to establish a national program to compensate, train and provide ongoing support to family caregivers of our most severely wounded warriors. Our advocacy helped win introduction of landmark legislation in both the Senate and House of Representative s to establish a family caregiver assistance program for these warriors.  While the Senate bill (S801) won committee support and could come to a full Senate vote in the coming weeks, the House of Representative s version of the legislation has not gained needed momentum, and is being overtaken by a much weaker bill that DOES NOT include Caregiver Compensation.

YOUR HELP is needed to build support for this critical House bill and thereby help win passage of the strongest possible caregiver legislation this year.

Call to Action on Bill HR 2342:

We urge you to contact key Representative s and your individual Representative by:

1. CALL their offices today, and again during Family-Caregiver National Call-In-Week, July 20th through 24th.
•   Congressman Bob Filner (D-SD), Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs 202.225.8045
•   Congressman Michael Michaud (D-ME), Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Subcommittee on Health 202.225.6306 
2. SEND A LETTER to your Congressman. You can use or adapt the text of a sample letter on the WWP website (http://www.kintera.org/site/c.ipIJKTOCJsG/b.5288917/k.BEE0/Home.htm).

Thank you all for your time and assistance!