Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Protecting Yourself Part 1: Definitions of Common Terms  (Read 13479 times)

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
    • VGS - Video Game Scoreboard - Set World Records
Protecting Yourself Part 1: Definitions of Common Terms
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:41 pm »
This is the first in a series of gaming related articles concerning viruses, hacking and preventative measures that I am doing for EOGmaer.com. The articles will be posted every Monday until the series has been completed. 

These articles are targeted for new computer users and old alike.  Whether you are a parent with a kid gaming or downloading materials from the internet, an adult gamer with question about internet security, or an experienced gamer wanting to check out some new things out there, these articles are for you.

http://www.eogamer.com/node/59

Any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to leave them here.

P.S.  I'm posting this here as we have a lot of MMOs, a lot of folks who have been hacked or hit by viruses in the past and figure this series will be useful for my guildies as well.

Cheers.

Set World Records, Get Gaming News at Video Game Scoreboard: http://www.videogamescoreboard.com/

Connor Altinus Mcleod

• Guildmaster
  • Administrator
  • Strength and Honor
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Black Watch
Re: Protecting Yourself Part 1: Definitions of Common Terms
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:30:15 pm »
Kay,

Can you post a total write up in the future so that we can make it a subpart of the webpage?

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
  • I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy each minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 04:05:55 pm »
For those that use Windows 7, they have added parental controls that are actually useful. I highly recommend their use for surfing and gameplay.

Basically what this one feature does is the same as what Deep Freeze does, but instead of having to restart your computer, you only have to log off. Everything you've done while logged into this account is undone.

Use the admin account for updates and things, but use the regular account for surfing. Totally safe. You can have a separate area that is untouched and you can save files there, or even use a USB drive or thumb drive.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Kianne Cassidy

• Website Administrator
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:35 pm »
If the info's already available online there's no reason to copy-and-paste (read: plagiarize) it on our own website.

"A bonus quest objective popped up: Jump off the collapsing island.  We all put on Feather Fall and jumped.  We all died.  Like lemmings."

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »
Connor, I could, but as once I publish it on EOGamer, it is copyrighted to EOGamer, it makes a conflict of interests.  You're free to link to it and all of that, and in theory copying verbatim is okay too as you aren't profiting off of it...but as EOGamer isn't even breaking even from ads, we'd loose revenue having an ad-free version of our articles elsewhere.

For those that use Windows 7, they have added parental controls that are actually useful. I highly recommend their use for surfing and gameplay.

Basically what this one feature does is the same as what Deep Freeze does, but instead of having to restart your computer, you only have to log off. Everything you've done while logged into this account is undone.

Use the admin account for updates and things, but use the regular account for surfing. Totally safe. You can have a separate area that is untouched and you can save files there, or even use a USB drive or thumb drive.
That and a few other things will be talked about in future articles.

Article Line Up right now looks like this:
Part 2: Windows Updates and You
Part 3: Windows Protection Services
Part 4: Anti-virus, spyware and firewalls
Part 5: Browser security
Part 6: In-game messages, phishing, account security and the devious nature of hackers
Part 7: Buy gold? Power-leveling?  Not a good idea
Part 8: I use a Mac.  I'm invulnerable.. .right?  Wrong.
Part 9: Other advice

If anyone has any thoughts of things to include or articles to add, please let me know :)

Set World Records, Get Gaming News at Video Game Scoreboard: http://www.videogamescoreboard.com/

Grontasaurus

• The End Is Near! Wait... there it went.
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Continuum
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:01:29 pm »
A nicely written article Kay...
I'm interested in the gold buying one in particular, gold buyers are a real pet-peve of mine b/c they wreck the in game economy when I go to the AH to sell things I legitamately received as drops.
It's only scary until you realize that you are running toward the chasm deliberately.

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:57 pm »
The folks over at NCSoft created this awesome PSA. Check it out regarding Gold sellers/power leveling services...it's humorous but also truth telling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmfKqc20l68&feature=player_embedded

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:42:53 pm »
I can't wait for Part 8. It will be interesting to see your opinion.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:22:33 pm »
D-Link and Netgear don't make 4-port layer 3 switches. They make 5 port layer 2 switches, but none that are layer 3. Home based routers are layer 3 and most have firewall functionality in them.

We use a Cisco PIX here at work, and I used a Netgear FVS-318 for a number of years for the SPI firewall, and those are really worth their weight in gold. For home use for those that want top notch security, I love the Netgear FVS-114 or FVS-318. I also love the Apple Airport Extreme (which is what I use).
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 03:02:26 am »
Protecting Yourself Part 2: Windows Updates

Part Two of our Protecting Yourself series focuses on Windows Updates: what are they, why they are important, how often you should do updates and how not updating your computer puts you at risk.

You can read the article here: http://www.eogamer.com/node/67

Grontasaurus

• The End Is Near! Wait... there it went.
    • View Profile
    • The Chaos Continuum
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:18 pm »
Very well written Kay.  Thanks again for doing this series.
Maybe we should talk sometime about eogamer's needs, maybe I could fit in somewhere.
It's only scary until you realize that you are running toward the chasm deliberately.

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »
Sure!  It's all volunteer spots right now, but we're always looking for more help :)

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:49:55 pm »
A Layer 3 switch is one that can intelligently route. A layer 2 switch is a dumb device. It cannot make decisions about traffic, it just sends the packets. A layer 3 device truly routes. The small switches are layer 2 and are only for expanding network connectivity. Almost all home routers come with switches built into the back of them in 4, 5, or 8 port varieties. Those are what you use until you simply need more ports. Then you add a dumb switch because the router is handling the decisions and adding another layer 3 device simply messes things up unless there is a specific purpose, which almost never happens at home. I can't see anyone needing to subnet their home.

Most routers nowadays have firewalls in them. A router acts as a firewall just in how it functions, because no packets are sent to the internal network unless requested or set to forward. Additional firewall functionality (a very good thing) means that DoS attacks are recognized and stopped, as well as most types of attempts to penetrate the network using nefarious means. The best firewalls use SPI, or Stateful Packet Inspection. I always tell my customers not to get a router unless it has firewall functionality in addition to what you get by just being a router. The Netgear ProSafe line is good with that because they all have the SPI firewall. They are also easy to set up and fairly inexpensive, which fits right into Kayhynn's article.

There is also the firewall software built into the operating system, whether Windows or Mac. This should always be on unless you are running firewall software that is more comprehensive, such as ZoneAlarm. Any tech support person that tells you that you should just turn off the firewall should be ignored immediately, hehe.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:38 pm »
This week's article will be coming up later today.  I got royally flooded by other stuff this weekend and unable to work on stuff.

Kayhynn

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 02:50:03 pm »
Thanks.

I had a few things happen last week that put a halt on writing the articles. 

I never knew how hard it was to research car loans and research buying a new to me (aka used) car.  Trying to replace my truck before it gives up the ghost.  I had found the perfect car.   By the time my loan got approved, it was sold.  Now I'm waiting for a new car loan packet to come in and match it to the next perfect car (which I have picked out).

But wow...so much to consider for new vehicles.

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:09 pm »
I love how you don't want to argue, then argue. Oh well.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 02:17:29 am »
Layer 2 switches are not dumb devices by virtue of being layer 2... unless they lack Spanning Tree Protocol.   8)

Also, for any arguments about what device is really what, there's no need.  Every networking appliance above (and sometimes including) OSI layer 1 is really just one form of a specialized/simplified computer... unless its not.  In which case, I'm stymied.  Beer time!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 02:23:00 am by Gilgamoth »

Kheldarren

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 05:06:05 pm »
Thanks for not arguing. Thanks for being so full of yourself. Thanks for trying to make me look like an imbecile. Talk more on a level that no one but a top level network pro will EVER use? Make you sound important? Glad you think so. Overdo your home network in an effort to look impressive much? You're being an elitist and trying to show off an education. A difference that makes no difference - is no difference.

I hope you read it all as it will help in your future endeavor
Wow, can you possibly be more pompous? I'm just astounded.

I use more simple terms and generalities that are 100% correct (unless you want to try to make someone look bad, like you did). I explain things that the average person understands, not that you need a CCNP to grasp. I have a more complicated home network than 99.9% of the IT people I know do, and it's nothing like you claim yours is. I believe yours is like that. You seem the type to overdo things like that. Have fun with it if it makes you happy.

Maybe have Ivan give you some tips on what punctuation is, too.

This is like a Ferrari mechanic analyze a Honda Civic. Respond if you will, I won't even read it. I'm done. Feel free to make another comment that will make you look good and important, while putting me down at the same time - like you have been.
Kheldarren
Captain, D Company
Royal Black Watch

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 05:14:21 pm »
I think this thread has gone off-track and we should all reconsider before posting any further messages, whether technical or personal.

Moz

• Ranked Officer
  • IT'S A TARP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 08:28:56 pm »
I think this thread has gone off-track and we should all reconsider before posting any further messages, whether technical or personal.

Agreed.

Major
Co-Project Officer
Charlie Co. MechWarrior Online
Royal Black Watch

vonwolfen

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 01:29:48 pm »
As a technically focused individual who knows just enough to be dangerous with anything of an electronics and communications endeavor, I truly find discussions like this not to be entertaining but rather helpful.  Generalization s are good to explain, specific details are required when they are required, and every protective system that is put into service has very specific needs and weaknesses...  As these weakness get attacked, the needs change, therefore perspectives change as well.  If there is one thing that I've learned from dealing with technologies overseas and at home, its that while often they are all built by the same companies, they are not always the same.  Even at the highest level of description and specification, things can be different.  The more specialized things become, the more the rules governing them no longer seem to apply.  For the most part, that is why discussions like this become heated and feelings get hurt...  You are talking about subjects where people do get hurt in real life, causing real disasters if things are overlooked, and where every perfect system gets attacked just to show that its imperfect, not because of any real gain.  If discussions like this didn't exist, advancement would slow and protections would weaken because terms would be misunderstood by those whose focus is on using the protected information, and technologies, no matter how good at protecting would be overlooked cause no one would understand their benefit do to complicated and lengthy instructions for implementation .

Thus my ever so lengthy point?  Thank you both very much for your help.  Truly and sincerely.  :)