Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Video Card question  (Read 8188 times)

urden

Video Card question
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:31 am »
I am currently using a Nvidia 8400gs card and it's time to upgrade. I'm not looking for the top of the line but something better than what I have now. Especially as I hear about the great graphics of Rift but I only get the low render quality.

I know my mobo, system and power supply can handle this card. What I don't know is what kind of performance difference I'll see.
Nvidia 8400gs vs. Evga GeForce GT430.

http://www.amazon.com/Evga-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1430-LR/dp/B0046HAW7Y/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Anybody have it?

urden

Re: Video Card question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 03:10:20 am »

vonwolfen

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 02:49:32 pm »
Heyas, Deathwind here.  I'll do my best to explain the differences.  For the most part each one is a substantial step up from the previous one.  Some cards vary slightly so these numbers while close, might vary slightly depending on your exact model...  ie: if you get one that is superclocked or some such.  One thing not listed below is the amount of memory, but all three cards you linked I have the same 1 gig so for this comparison it's irrelevant.

Here are the major differences:

Video card type:                      8400                        430                               450
Core Clock                            520MHz                    700MHz                          822MHz
Shader Clock                        1230MHz                  1400MHz                        1645MHz
Stream Processors                    8                             96                               192
Effective Memory Clock          1200MHz                  1400MHz                        3608MHz
Memory Interface                    64-bit                     128-bit                          128-bit
Memory Type                         DDR3                        DDR3                            GDDR5

The core clock and shader clock is the processing speeds.  The higher the number the faster it is.  It takes a difference of about 100 MHz or so to really be noticeable with the naked eye.  The stream processors are what do the work to interact with the main processor.  The more there are the more information it can feed to the core at the same time.  The Memory Interface is the amount of through-put the memory can tackle at any given time.  The  processors process, but it still has to funnel through the memory interface to be able to render.  The memory type pretty much gets faster the newer it is.  DDR5 is the newest / fastest.  DDR3 is older and slower.  DDR2 is older and slower still, etc.

Bottom line?  The 430 seriously has a faster clock, 12 times the processing cores, and twice the interface through-put.  It will be quite a bit faster than the 8400 and more powerful to enable higher quality graphics.  Much so.  The 450 has twice again as many processing cores and faster memory clock so load times will be quite a bit faster than the 430, but the interface is the same 128 bit, so the overall graphic improvement is a narrower margin between it and the 430 than the 430 and 8400.  For me though, faster load times is just as important if not more important than the quality improvement.

I realize that the 450 costs twice as much as the 430, runs hotter (the 430 will run hotter than the 8400 too), and requires more power.  But it is a superior card to the 430.  If you don't want to invest all the extra money, the 430 will be a great improvement over the 8400.  Should be a night and day difference.  

Hope that helps.

DW  :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:53:53 pm by Deathwind »

urden

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 10:23:14 pm »
Thank you for that detailed response. I really appreciate it.

To step up to the 450 I'll have to replace the power supply, no way around it. Considering anything I do I'll have to do twice (want to avoid wife aggro by not getting her the upgrade) I believe the 430 is my answer at this time then.

Maybe it will let me avoid the Low Quality Render of Rift. Wonder if it will make a difference in LoTRO.

vonwolfen

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 12:39:04 am »
More specific info:

I've not played rift, so I'm not 100% sure on the graphic requirements for that game, but I'd bet they are pretty substantial.  To give you a real life comparison though to base it off of, the 450 will allow you to run WoW at one step down from max setting or near ultra as it were, with few problems.  So either card is still going to be below max settings for Rift.  Both WILL be much better than what you have though.  :)

urden

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 11:54:49 am »
Both WILL be much better than what you have though.  :)

And that's what I am looking for.  ;)

vonwolfen

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 02:39:49 pm »
So did you get your new cards yet?  And how were they?

urden

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:28:37 pm »
Not yet.
Sudden expenses took up that part of the budget.

urden

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:28:17 pm »
GT 430 installed and the difference is A. Maze. Ing.
So glad I got it.

Thank you for all of the help.