Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: Take it for what it is worth...to YOU  (Read 4318 times)

Mioel

• Ranked Officer
    • View Profile
Take it for what it is worth...to YOU
« on: March 19, 2011, 04:55:47 pm »
I write music for a small label in Nashville that has been very kind to me, and instead of pushing me to tour and make them money, has allowed me to do what I love, and just send them music every month.  I have been blessed to have a few people use my music, but lately no one huge that most people would know.  Because of this, I get a small, but appreciated, check every month from ASCAP for royalties and song use.  I may never be famous, but I love the freedom it offers me, and my ability to express myself without some one hovering over my shoulder, "insert label name here", telling me that my songs sound just like "insert artists name here", and I need to do better.  Been there....done that!  So why in the gaming world, do we do this to other creative souls, because that is what each game is, a creation, someones brain child.  Yes; I am intelligent enough that I understand the inner workings of our human nature and how we compare and contrast everything, but really?  Are there things in every single game that I loathe?  YES!  Are there things, that if I look hard enough I will love?  Probably. Yet, every single new game that comes out instantly has to go against "insert game name here".  That really is unfair.  Just as anticipating that my latest song will be as popular as Zac Brown's "Chicken Fried" (which he wrote and played for over 10 years before it hit the radio waves and became popular).   ;D

I can not venture into public forums any longer because of all of the trolls, or my absolute favorite: This isn't "insert game name here" and never will be! threads.  It makes me sad when I see people insert their biased, one sided, opinion of a game based on what they "thought" it would be.  Where did you get this information?  How did you come up with the ideas that this game would be anything other than what the web site, interviews, beta, or game play videos stated/showed?  Yet over and over again, game after game, people will rant and rave about what a game isn't, instead of what it is?  Maybe I am just one of those people that believes "the glass isn't half full, I just have room for more beverage" type of people, but, really?  If you are sooooo enamored by "insert game name here" then stick with it!  Enjoy, play, live long and prosper!  Please don't ruin the experience of a new game because you feel it is your duty to defend the honor of "insert game name here", with which all other games just don't hold a candle to.   >:(   Well Mioel I never!  Haven't you heard of free speech!  Are you a commie?!  I don't have to have a shred of decorum, I only need to speak my mind!  Some how, I don't believe that is what our fore-fathers intended! 

If you are so hard pressed for a new game that meets all the standards of "insert game name here" then get a loan for a few million dollars, hire the best geeks on the planet, and put out your own baby.  Just don't be upset when you start receiving the same comments you dished out to other devs and game enthusiasts; this is not "insert game name here" and never will be!

Just something to think about next time you are in game, or on the forums somewhere thinking of letting the verbal or written cannons loose!   :P

Mioel
To thine own self be true...

Connor Altinus Mcleod

• Guildmaster
  • Administrator
  • Strength and Honor
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Black Watch
Re: Take it for what it is worth...to YOU
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:04:54 pm »
I must agree every game has its pluses and minuses and I move between many of them but I find it each one offers a very unique experience and is from a the most part very well done. I also find that the more members to come and compare a game to their previous game the more dissatisfied Dubya come with it because like all things we all enjoy familiarity. I would compare this to movies I have to say that my wife who enjoy the original karate kid could not approach the karate kid that was just released with an open mind she automatically compared it to the older movie whereas I looked at it based upon the movie itself and its merits I found that I enjoyed the movie and my wife did not come perhaps this is because I don't revere Ralph macho. But I like to think that I'm just more open-minded and I have found benefits to all of the games that the watch plays. The little bit we have another 20 years of great games and excellent Guild experiences

Dreyvon

Re: Take it for what it is worth...to YOU
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:06:39 pm »
I would like to chime in on both games and music, since i do both as well.

I've been playing guitar and drums for about 20 years. I have been in COUNTLESS bands, one of which took off ( not famous but known locally and in a few states) and was together for 6 years. The one thing i tell musicians is to be true to themselves. No one has a single unique thought, its more about taking things that exist, and putting your own flavor to them. It's hard not to sound like someone else... becaus music has been around for so long. The thing that makes you stand out is what you do differently with what's already there.

The same can be said about games. I play and have played lots of games... lots. I generally focus on MMO's. What makes a game isn't what it does that's new, really... because 9 times out of 10, new ideas tend not to work out. What makes a game is improving on existing ideas and making them feel new. I'm with Connor on this... if we look at every game objectively and independently. .. we can see what it has to offer that others maybe don't.

I loathe people who constantly compare everything to the 1 thing they play. Of course there are going to be similarities, because if it works... why fix it. There are certain things that are staples in MMO's.. so not to have them handicaps your game. For instance; People continue to compare every new game to WoW, which is fine, because WoW did alot of things very well... but nothing in WoW is new... at all. It has existed before, and will continue to exist in the realm of MMO's. They just borrowed from past games and put their own spin on it.

We just have to be open and objective when playing games/listening and/or playing music. The reason i can enjoy many games and enjoy playing many different styles of music, is because I can see each genre for what it is... and stellar progression of ideas built upon ideas... from which I can build upon myself and make a mark in the progression.

just my 450 cents.