Home Main Org Members Forums Events Gallery Library Store
Home Events Forums Site Map
The Royal Black Watch Forums

Author Topic: What someone got for christmass...  (Read 5573 times)

Remi

• Ranked Officer
  • 存在の理由など無くて
    • View Profile
    • My Characters
What someone got for christmass...
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:14:08 pm »
It's a steal at half the price!!!

The comments are..yeah.    This has to be a joke, right, right?

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
Re: What someone got for christmass...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 04:59:52 am »
But but but... it has directional indicators on the cabling!  That way, you know which way the electrons move.   ;)

Seriously though, there ARE some cables for digital signals that are really expensive and NOT a rip-off, but those would be for cabling that exceeds the normal specs.  Think along the lines of copper cable runs that are 2x/5x/10x the max spec, so there are latency issues to compensate for, maybe wave squareness issues, etc.  Example:  consider the real difference between Cat5e and Cat6 standards.

END LURK
-Gilgamoth

Remi

• Ranked Officer
  • 存在の理由など無くて
    • View Profile
    • My Characters
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:22:43 am »
Heh..yeah..CAT cables proved that wire is not all created equal...

but *snicker* for a length of cable that's necklace sized*? And just carries a signal from one device to another where both are within normal parameters of normal cable?  I *could* see it being a few dollars a foot.  $500 per foot though?  I'm really curious the mindset behind this - my guess is the publicity it garnered was the goal.

And less lurk gilga :P

*Necklace-sized according to the Mr.T Scale of Bling™

Edit Reason: Typing while healing on other comp leads to interesting results - should see the in-game chatter :P
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:43:07 am by Laerhith »

Gilgamoth

• Ranked Officer
  • SP Gilgamoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 03:32:08 am »
What is the mindset?  I'm pretty sure there was a business meeting at that company that went alone the lines of this:

Guy1:  "Do we like money?"
Guy2:  "Yes, we like money!"
Guy1:  "How to make more???"
Guy3:  "5,000% markup!?"
Guy1:  "Guy3, you are a GENIUS!!!!"

The rest is just details.  :)

All jokes aside, this is pretty normal for products marketed towards business customers, rather than individual consumers.  The upshot is that when you can't even find an affordable product yourself, there's probably a way you can just make one yourself.  Examples: directional and/or high-gain antennas, high quality bass speakers, build-your-own computers.  Once upon a time, it was far cheaper to make (cut and crimp) your own computer network cables from a large spool, rather than purchase pre-built cables.  DIY is great.   ;D